Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bookworm Buzz


Here are three new reviews from my Goodreads list.  All of these books are "just right," for fourth graders.  Big Nate is a collection of Big Nate comics, Titanic is non fiction, and I Survived The Attacks of September 11, 2001 is historical fiction.  Enjoy, and let me know what you think!


I Survived #6: I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001I Survived #6: I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 by Lauren Tarshis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The attacks of September 11, 2001 are very personal to me. My brother, a veteran of the NYPD, was watching the beautiful blue sky, while waiting for his car to be fixed, when he heard the "All Call," to report to his precinct.  He had to get his wife out of Manhattan and then go back to dig for survivors.  My uncle walked across the Brooklyn Bridge to get out of the city.  My cousins rode the ferry back to Staten Island while helping people who had been injured.  Another cousin drove from Saratoga with cases of water to help the first responders. I wasn't sure I wanted to read this latest installment in the I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis, but I am SO GLAD that I did.  I read the "Why I wrote about September 11," first, and this helped me set a purpose for reading.  So many of you were babies when this event in our history happened, but I was not, and I will always remember how I felt that day, so far away from my family, just waiting for news.  I really connected with Lucas when he could not get through to his family on the phone because all of the telephone lines were jammed. Phew! Lauren Tarshis has done a masterful job of conveying the magnitude of this event in a story that you can understand and appreciate.  It is a great addition to the "I Survived," series and I am thankful that Lauren Tarshis was brave enough to write it for you.  Enjoy!


View all my reviews



Titanic (National Geographic Readers Series)Titanic by Melissa Stewart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A great non fiction read about Titanic that utilizes a variety of text features which we have learned this past year.  I really liked the photographs and the illustrations, but I especially liked the Weird but True bubbles.  A great read for all of you Titanic fans and those of you looking for some variety in your reading diet with some non fiction.


View all my reviews



Big Nate: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?Big Nate: What Could Possibly Go Wrong? by Lincoln Peirce
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What can I say, I LOVE Big Nate.  A funny, quick read with MANY teacher references.  My favorite part was "Relax, or else!"  I ABSOLUTELY loved the yoga class with Coach John.  As a yoga teacher myself I laughed so hard at the "Stop Yakking and Relax."  I think Coach John needs to learn the phrase, "Please don't interfere with someone else's yoga experience." :)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment