Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

Bookworm Buzz

I told you that I would be reviewing several books this weekend and here they are!  Hopefully you can find one that interests you and you can add it to your book bag.

About AverageAbout Average by Andrew Clements
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a great story about courage and quick thinking.  This book will be a great companion novel to our weather unit.  If tornadoes scare you, this book might scare you, but the ending is just right!  I would like to read this book again just to examine the main character's personality traits and to figure out what motivates her to act on the way that she does.  I think you will like this new novel from Andrew Clements.


View all my reviews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Lulu's adventures continue in this new novel by Judith Viorst, Lulu Walks the Dogs.  If you like to read books in which the author speaks to the reader, almost as if answering questions as they come up, you will love this book. I am really enjoying watching Lulu grow and change over time.  She is a character and her new friend Fleischman is proving to be a great friend for her.  What will their next adventure bring?

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
As a fan of the Amulet series, Prince of Elves did not disappoint.  The illustrations continue to contain so much information about the story, which is truly a science fiction/fantasy, that a reader really needs to go slow and not rush it.  Luke was right next to me as I read it and when I had questions, he was right there to help me out.  This is the most challenging of the Amulet books so far, due to the plot, that it would be a challenge for many fall 4th graders.  If you love this series, try reading it with a friend so that you have someone to talk to about it, this will help. There was a big plot twist at the end and readers have to be careful not to miss it as it sets up the next novel.


Forgive Me, I Meant to Do It: False Apology PoemsForgive Me, I Meant to Do It: False Apology Poems by Gail Carson Levine
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I finally got around to reading this book of poetry and as usual, I asked myself, "What were you waiting for?"  I was inspired to re read William Carlos Williams' Poetry for Young People and I just kept coming up with so many ideas for use of this book as a mentor text in writer's workshop.  We will definitely be writing our own "false apology poems," when we read Love That Dog and Hate that Cat, by Sharon Creech.  My favorite poem was "This is just to say."  Mrs. Richards will have to get us our own copy because I am certain that we will be wearing hers out!


View all my reviews
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
One Direction is so popular that when I saw this biography by Riley Brooks, I just had to have it.  It was well written and just right for fall 4th graders.  Although Liv is a HUGE fan of 1D, I didn't know that much about the band, so this was a great place to start.  If you like 1D or just want to learn about one of the most popular boy bands in America and the U.K., then this is the book for you.  I promise to share it, cross my heart!

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
I don't know that much about Taylor Swift, despite her popularity, so I thought this book would be a good place to start.  Fans of Taylor will really enjoy this book and it is just right for 4th graders.  However, if you aren't a big fan, you will become bored with all of the references to her clothes,makeup and boyfriends.  I think 4th graders are deeper thinkers than this book gives them credit for being.  I'm not sure the author is correct, the author I have on my book is Riley Brooks, so that needs to be examined.  I'm happy to share my copy, let me know what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment