Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Bookworm Buzz



Dear Reader,

I have three books for you this week. The first one is a book of list poems, called Falling Down the Page, edited by Georgia Heard. There are so many interesting poems in this book, all written in list form, from a variety of poets. Liv and Luke enjoyed reading it too! I was so inspired by some of the poems that I wrote my own list poem about July, and am planning on having students write some list poems in September. You should try it reader!

The second book I have to share with you is a non fiction book called Alligators and Crocodiles by Trudi Strain Trueit. This book is just right for many new fourth graders. I learned some pretty cool facts about crocodilians that I didn't know. For example, did you know that when a crocodile dives, skin flaps cover the ears? Did you also know that crocodilians can stay under water for up to two hours and can swim at the rate of up to six miles per hour? Pretty cool, don't you think? These are just some of the many amazing facts I learned about crocodilians in Trueit's book.

The third book that I have for you is a picture book by Adam Rex called Frankenstein Takes the Cake. Luke LOVED this book. It is a picture book written in poetry , but there are many different forms of writing presented. There are comics, newspaper layout, advertisements and playbill, to name just a few. You should really check it out, I am sure that you can find it at the local library.

So reader, the lesson for this week is simple: vary your reading diet! Varying your reading diet opens up the world of books just a little bit wider every time you try a different genre.

Until next time,

Read on, Readers,

Love,

Mrs. W

No comments:

Post a Comment