Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

Bookworm Buzz


Dear Readers,
With all of the heat this week,I have been reading so much, that I haven't had a chance to write to you. I don't have air conditioning in my house, so I like to sit in my cool basement and read. Well, sometimes I will play the Wii with my kids, but mostly I just watch them play while I read. I finished Ghostopolis by Doug Tennapel, it was great! Luke loved it too. If you like graphic novels and don't mind a few scary characters, then this is the book for you. Check out my last post for a link to the book.
For my older friends, I have just finished Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson. Actually, I finished it last week, but the main character is still sticking around in my head and in my heart. This book is NOT for fourth graders, but every upper middle school and high school student should read it, and parents too! As a reader, one of the ways that I can tell that a book is really powerful is by how long the characters stay with me after I am done reading, and like I said, Melinda, the main character, is still with me. I have questions reader, many questions: What happens to her over the summer? Will she have friends? What will the school board do to Mr. Freeman? These are just a few of my questions. This book was published in 1999, and made a few of the "Banned Books" lists across the country. I just had to read it. Older readers, if you have read it, or do read it, send me a comment and let me know what you think. I would love to talk about this book! If you just want to talk about a book, I would love to hear from you too! Let me know what you are reading.
Read on, readers!
Love,
Mrs. W

No comments:

Post a Comment