Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Bookworm Buzz

Get ready for it-here they come!  I have many reviews for you based on my summer reading.  How are you doing with your reading?  Remember to share books with friends (Mrs.Merten has some of my favorites) and to use the library!  Ask the librarian how you can put a book on hold, (I put books on hold all of the time!) if you can't find what you want on the shelves.  Read lots, and lots and lots!  Leave me a comment or send me an email to let me know about what you are reading, I would love to hear from you. :)

Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #1)Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fans of Amulet will love this series and it is a nice introduction to the science fiction genre.  It will make the Amulet series, which I LOVE, more accessible to 4th graders.  Mrs. Richards will have to get us a few of these, and the other books in this series. :)


View all my reviews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The story continues and of course the plot thickens!  Waiting for the third one to arrive from the library!  Give this series a try, I know you will like it!

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I loved this version of the Three Little Pigs, I am a karate mom afterall!  I loved that it was told in rhyme and that the third little pig was a girl!  Dan Santat is one of my favorite illustrators EVER, remeber Carnivores and Sidekicks!  Mrs. Richards will need to get me this one too!

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A wonderful story about friendship, how friendships change and accepting life as it comes.  Themes of friendship, loss, and overcoming challenges are present.  Very cute illustrations as well.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
A wonderful story from India, it will make a nice addition to the myth text set.  Amazing illustrations!

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
 Based on Mark Kurlansky's critically acclaimed bestseller Salt: A World History which is for adults, this picture book will interest many 4th graders.  I learned so much from this book, I didn't realize there was so much to know about salt.  Try it, not just on your food, make it part of your reading diet!

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Although this is the third book in this series, it was the first book that I have read.  I think 4th graders will like the characters and will be able to relate to their problems.  This would make a fun book group!


Summerhouse TimeSummerhouse Time by Eileen Spinelli
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

An oldie but a goodie. I could relate to the setting as I love to go to our beach house. There are many talk worthy points in this story which could lead to some pretty interesting persuasive essays.

View all my reviews My rating: 3 of 5 stars
There are some interesting themes in this book, hope, homelessness, anger, change; much to talk about and lots of writing lessons here!  A great story of how characters change over time.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
An oldie but a goodie and will make a nice addition to the baseball basket.  I love a good historical fiction book and this one does not disappoint!  Mrs. Mac will love this one too because of the history of the song "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."  I can't wait to share it with her!

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This will make a great non fiction addition to the text set for The One and Only Ivan.  It will help readers understand Ruby and Stella and why they had the relationship that they did based on facts.  I loved the photos, the  "Did you know,"page and the author's note.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
What a great way to focus thinking and to write about one small seed idea, and the ending was fun too!  Mrs. Hess will be able to find many ways to use this book in Art class, too.  The illustrations are amazing and I loved the artist's note at the end of the book.  Hoping that there will be more books like this one, maybe the The Great Big Red?


No comments:

Post a Comment