Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Bookworm Buzz

Hi everyone!  Apparently, July is "book a day," month for some teachers and they try to read a book a day.  I have been reading A LOT and finally had time to post some of my reviews to Goodreads and here.  I have several more in my "to read," pile and am hoping to read Zita the Spacegirl, by Ben Hatke today.  I have been making at least two trips a week to my library and so far this summer I have saved over $500.00 using my library card. That money might be enough for me to take another vacation!  Are you using your library card?  It is super fun, try it!  I hope that you have been reading A LOT as well.  Leave me a comment and let me know what you have been reading, if the book is good or if you just can't get into it.  :)  Can't wait to hear from you!

Sophie Scott Goes SouthSophie Scott Goes South by Alison Lester
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book!  A great narrative non fiction with awesome text features.  This will make a great addition to the Mr. Popper's Penguins text set.  Check this out from your local library, you won't be disappointed!


View all my reviews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Another narrative non fiction with great text features!  Plus, the story includes the MOS in Boston, which was pretty cool! A great addition to a text set for the grade 3 butterfly unit.  New 4th graders should check it out!

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
If you like the Fly Guy series by Tedd Arnold, this latest installment won't disappoint!  It is a sweet story about true friendship and what it means to "unconditional friends."  It also is pretty funny too!  

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
A nice story about being your own person and not being afraid to be who you really are. It would make a nice addition to a text set about friendship or books with the theme of "believe in yourself."  The pictures and type face make for some talk worthy discussions. 

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
A fun story that could be used in art, math or when studying Canada.  It would be a great jumping off point for a creative arts project involving collages, or with a technology project in which students could translate the book back into French from English.  The possibilities are endless!

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Mrs. Hess could use this book when teaching students about Picasso as an alternative way to look at the work by the artist.  There are many lessons in this story and much to talk about with students.  It is a picture book for upper level elementary students.  4th graders would be able to understand the character's feelings and have some great discussions about character traits vs. character feelings.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was a good book which is best suited for middle school students.  I was really hoping that it would be just right for fourth graders and that I would be able to make it part of a text set for when we read The One and Only Ivan, but that is not the case.  There are some themes that would need to be explained to 4th graders and are not really necessary to understanding the work of the scientists presented.  A cool way for middle school students to be introduced to Jane Godall, Dian Fossey and Birute Galdikas.


1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading The Exquisite Corpse Adventure. I loved the book and rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I thought it was just simply incredible how these 20 authors came up with one exquisite novel.
    Sincerely,Abhiram

    ReplyDelete