Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Bookworm Buzz

Well, I've done it! 68 books read so far this summer, which was my goal for book-a-day. It has been 33 days, less than half of the days in summer. I am going to read more chapter books, and maybe some books just for me, and try to get to 75. I think that this will be a good goal. Remember, once you reach your summer reading goal, DON'T STOP!! Set a new goal and keep reading. :) Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible JourneyPigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey by Alex Milway
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really loved this book and recommended it to my niece who will be entering 3rd grade this fall.  It is a good introduction to the graphic novel genre and the story is HILARIOUS!  I can see us including it in a text set or book groups about fictional hamsters.  I imagine that there will be many more tales of Pigsticks and Harold in the future.  Mrs. Richards needs to add this one to her list!


View all my reviews
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book will make a nice addition to the Patricia MacLachlanauthor study book group.  If you liked some of her recent chapter books, you will like this one. 

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
A great introduction to the science fiction genre for 3rd and 4th graders, and cat lovers won't be disappointed.  I imagine that there will be many adventures for these characters in the future.


Eerie Elementary #1: The School Is Alive! (A Branches Book)Eerie Elementary #1: The School Is Alive! by Jack Chabert
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



View all my reviews Snowy OwlsSnowy Owls by Jennifer Zeiger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another great non fiction book which many 5th graders will enjoy for the Birds of Prey research project. 4th graders will love the information and the photos. It would be a great non fiction companion read to the Patrick Jennings Book Odd, Weird & Little. Mrs. Richards will have to add this one to her list!

View all my reviews Gregor Mendel: The Friar Who Grew PeasGregor Mendel: The Friar Who Grew Peas by Cheryl Bardoe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An oldie but a goodie. This book will make a great read aloud for when we study heredity. I can't believe it has taken me so long to find it and you guessed it, Mrs. Richards will have to get this one too!

View all my reviews Rosie Revere, EngineerRosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can see so many lesson possibilities with this book; we can use it in reader's workshop, writer's workshop, poetry workshop, math, science and during open circle. My Liv wants to be an engineer and she LOVED this book. The lesson is key; it's not about making mistakes, it's about how you celebrate and learn from them. :)

View all my reviews A Boy Called DickensA Boy Called Dickens by Deborah Hopkinson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am a self admitted Charles Dickens freak, so naturally I was drawn to this book. I will use this book as part of my reader's workshop launching unit to show you all how I vary my reading diet. I love to learn about the lives of authors and this book does not disappoint. I will have to remember my Charles Dickens action figure when I share this book with students. I wonder if Deborah Hopkinsonwill be writing a book called "A girl called Austen." I have that action figure too! Perhaps I will ask her a question on her Goodreads page! :)

View all my reviews Allegiant (Divergent, #3)Allegiant by Veronica Roth
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Not quite what I was hoping for DESPITE the ending.  I wanted a bit more from the characters.


View all my reviews
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
An interesting read, not quite sure how we could use it, perhaps in poetry workshop.  The illustrations were lovely.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
We are going to have a lot of fun using this book in poetry workshop!  We will have to get Mrs. Mac involved and see if she can play the Helen Reddy version for you!

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I enjoyed this story and can imagine more tales of Extraordinary chicken to follow.  A good introduction to the graphic novel genre for 2nd and 3rd grade readers.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Love the illustrations! Predictable text will make younger readers feel independent and will help them build confidence and stamina.


No comments:

Post a Comment