Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

Bookworm buzz

The book-a-day challenge continues and I have read 55 books over the past 27 days.  My goal is to reach 68 books to mark the 68 days of summer AND to review them all on Goodreads and here, on the blog.  How is your summer reading going so far?  Leave me a comment and let me know what you are  reading.  Let me know if you have read any of my reviews and have been motivated to read a specific book.  Don't forget to use the local library, that is where I have been getting all of my books this summer.  Make friends with a librarian, they are cool people!
GastonGaston by Kelly DiPucchio
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I LOVED this book.  So many great messages, themes and mini lesson possibilities.  my friend Donna, at the library, recommended it to me and she was right!  One of my favorites all year!


View all my reviews
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Some of you will think this book is HILARIOUS!  There are some great mini lesson possibilities with this picture book.  

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
A great book for the first week of school and it would be fun to pair it with Planet Kindergarten.  A great message and some interesting talking points.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book will make for some great mini lessons and some very interesting discussions.  I can see adding this to our yoga book set.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I absolutely LOVED this book.  It reminded me of a the Langston Hughes story "Thank you, Ma'am," which is always one of my favorite stories to read with students. We can make some GREAT text to text comparisons with these two stories and then find some non fiction books about gardening to make some connections across genres.  The lesson possibilities are endless!

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
A fun book with some interesting characters.  I especially like the creativity of the fourth monster chef and the way she solved the problem. Enjoy!

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
A collection of short stories from several of our favorite authors and all of them are about recess!  Students will love this book and Mrs. Richards will have to buy several copies for us.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I really enjoyed this series and I know that 4th graders will too!  They are a great introduction to sci-fi/fantasy in graphic novel format.  Fans of Amulet will love Zita.  Ben Hatke has an awesome website too, check it out!

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I love Patrick Jenningsand this book is no exception!  I can imagine an author study with this book and several other Patrick Jennings books that can be paired with non fiction books about animals which can lead to some great research writing.  There are many talk worthy points in this book for 4th graders and the cross curricular possibilities are endless.  I think Mrs. Richards is going to have to get us some copies of this book as well!

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is one of my favorite books of the year!  Every year, 4th graders LOVE to read about Galapagos George and this picture book will make a great addition to this text set.  I loved the structure of the book and the illustrations were amazing!  Mrs. Richards will DEFINITELY need to get us this book!

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is another one of my favorite non fiction picture books of the year and 4th graders will love this book too!  I didn't know there was SO much to learn about dung beetles.  This book will make a great addition to a text set about biology and heredity.  It was just plain fun and had me laughing out loud!  Imagine that, non fiction that makes you laugh.  Try it, you will like it, I promise! :)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
It has been a great summer for non fiction reading.I learned so much about sea slime, I didn't know there was this much to learn about sea slime.  The pictures were very interesting as well.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
The summer of non fiction continues with this great book about bears. There are some great mini lesson possibilities with this book, especially in writer's workshop.  It will make a great addition to the biology/heredity text set as well.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I love when adult books that are adapted for children are written well and with the target audience in mind.  This is the true story of a service dog and his soldier.  Dog lovers and non dog lovers will enjoy this story of Tuesday and Luis.  The photographs are beautiful.  This is a great book for asking questions and starting discussions about current events and history.  


1 comment:

  1. hi mrs williams
    i am mostly reading crime and mystery books
    from
    shay

    ReplyDelete