Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bookworm Buzz



Dear Reader,

It has been a few weeks since I have written to you about some of my favorite books, but trust me, I have been reading plenty. First of all, When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead, has won the Newberry award! I read this book last summer and reviewed it on Read and Roll. Rebecca Stead will be at the Wellesley Free Public Library on Tuesday February 9th. You know that I will be there! The first book that I want to tell you about is Greek Myths by Deborah Luck. It is a great introduction to Greek myths and just right for all of us in room 23. I like the pronunciation guide and the glossary. Some of the most popular myths are told in an easy to understand manner. I also have read the first four books in the High Rise Private Eyes series by Cynthia Rylant. These books would be vacations for us, but a good way to get into the mystery genre if it is a new genre to you. I have two favorite picture books this week. The Lion and the Mouse, a wordless picture book by Jerry Pinkney, which just won the Caldecott Medal, and Mudball by Matt Tavares. The Lion and the Mouse is beautifully illustrated and the lack of words requires the reader to infer much about the story, especially if you are not familiar with the fable. Mudball, is from the historic fiction genre, and tells the story of Andy Oyler, a baseball player who does something miraculous in a baseball game. I enjoyed these two books this week because they are connected in their theme, "even small creatures can do great things!" Let me know if you think there are any other universal themes in both of these books. Finally, I have just finished Babymouse #12, Babymouse Burns Rubber. Lots of great lessons about hardwork, winning and friendship in this book. What can I say? You know that I love Babymouse!

Until next time,

Read on, readers!

Mrs. W

No comments:

Post a Comment