Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2019

A Big Bite

Our Coffeehouse was a HUGE success.  Great job everyone!  Congratulations to all of the poets for a great performance.  It was wonderful to see so many adults participate in the Open Mic.  Take a bow!












Here is a copy of my poem to the students:
Things to Be in Room 23

A Tae Kwon Do Martial Arts Master
Energetic and full of life
A connoisseur of the finest baked goods around, mom’s are the best!
Always promoting positivity 
The most dedicated Pittsburgh Steelers Fan ever
The best big brother in the world
The coolest new kid ever at JFK
A master Lego builder
A supreme student council representative
Our class cheerleader
An intrepid hiker
A wonderful world traveler
Queen of the ice
A disco dancing madman
A fierce Ninja Warrior
A talented artist
Quiet inside, crazy loud outside Air Force kid
Passionate about PIGS!
A YouTube sensation
A master of state capitals, state birds, world wide transportation systems and the piano
A fan of Edgar Allan Poe, it says so on the socks!
Ready for summer
Ready for fifth grade
Ready to say good-bye
And the most important thing to be, not just in Room 23 but always,
Be you, wonderful, funny, smart, caring, kind you!

Mrs. Sawyer wrote an original poem in college that was published.  It is reprinted with her permission.

A Dance at Bougival

We trample on burnt-out cigarette butts, 
me, with my tan, wood-heeled shoes, 
and you, with your flowing cream dress with the red trim. 

I feel I've been waiting for this dance all my life. 
To hold your smooth, delicate hand in mine, 
and smell the subtle sweet scent of your hair. 

Though the room around us is crowded with cheer
 men yelling and women laughing, 
I hear nothing but the soft rhyhm of your breath. 

I bend my head down to look at your face, 
but your eyes are fixed on the dusty floor below. 
You have not spoken a word or even glanced at me once. 

Sadly it is only I who awaited this reverie, 
for you complied only in polite obligation. 
And so I end our dance with a kiss on your hand, 
thankful for even the shortest of moments.




No comments:

Post a Comment