Kennedy Landing Page

Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012

At the Core

It has been a busy two weeks!  So much going on in the world, the Election, Hurricane Sandy and the recent snowfall.  I want to say thank you so much for all of the emails and messages asking about my family in NY and NJ.  My family in NYC is fine  and recovering.  As some of you know, my in-laws live in Lavallette, NJ during the summer, which is on the barrier island that sustained massive damage during the hurricane.  I run to Seaside Heights and back every morning that I am there, and am familiar with the places that have now been destroyed.  I was on that boardwalk many times this past summer. Our house is on the bay side, and as of yet we have not been able to gain access to assess the damage.  We have seen aerial shots and the house is still standing, but we learned this morning that the water level is still high on the bay side during the tide. Year round residents will be allowed access this weekend and only for a few hours to retrieve documents, take pictures and throw away food.  At this point, we do not know when we will be allowed onto the island to check things out as much needs to be done to restore the infrastructure and basic needs for residents like gas, electric, water and sewer.  What I do know is that we will survive and are thankful that we are all alive.  We will "Restore the Shore."  Brandon D. a former 4th grader and sibling of Meg D came to see me.   He attends college in NJ and had to come home due to the power outages. He witnessed people pushing their cars along the GSP just to get gas.  People are amazing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment